Korek users urged to prepare as Iraq’s communications regulator warns of a possible service disruption. The Communication and Media Commission (CMC) issued the warning on Wednesday.
The regulator advised subscribers to protect access to their digital accounts. It also urged customers to register alternative phone numbers with other licensed operators.
The warning targets users who depend on Korek numbers for verification and account recovery. Many digital platforms rely on SMS codes for login and authentication.
Therefore, the CMC encouraged subscribers to add another Iraqi mobile number. Users can then receive verification codes if Korek services suddenly stop.
The commission also recommended alternative authentication methods. These include email addresses, authenticator applications, and other available recovery options.
As a result, subscribers can reduce their dependence on SMS messages. This could help prevent account lockouts during any potential network disruption.
The CMC specifically warned users not to wait until text messages stop arriving. Instead, it urged them to complete the recommended steps immediately.
Korek users urged to prepare as the dispute between the company and regulator continues.
The CMC and Korek have faced a lengthy legal dispute over the company’s obligations. The conflict intensified in June following a major regulatory decision.
At that time, the commission announced that Korek’s operating contract had expired. It also cancelled a settlement reached between both sides in 2025.
The regulator cited alleged breaches of contractual, legal, and financial obligations. Furthermore, it said it would pursue legal measures against the company.
Disruptions affecting Korek customers began in late 2023. The CMC launched enforcement measures over alleged unpaid financial obligations.
Since then, the regulator has restricted Korek internet services outside the Kurdistan Region. It also blocked interconnected calls between Korek and competing networks across Iraq.
In January 2025, Iraqi lawmaker Zahra al-Bajari discussed Korek’s alleged financial obligations. She said the company owed around two trillion Iraqi dinars.
That amount exceeded $1.5 billion based on the exchange rate at the time. The alleged debt included licensing fees and other outstanding obligations.
However, Korek has rejected the regulator’s claims. Following the June decision, the company sought intervention from Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi.
Korek argued that the CMC lacked authority to cancel the previous settlement. The company also questioned the legality of the regulator’s decision.
Additionally, the Erbil-based company accused the commission of taking politically motivated measures. Korek described the actions as arbitrary and successive.
Meanwhile, the CMC continues warning subscribers about potential service interruptions. Korek users urged to prepareby securing alternative recovery options before any disruption occurs.


